Sunday, July 12, 2009

Very Bad Trip

When traveling abroad, even the smallest little things can be so interesting. Take toilets, for example. One could just photograph their way around toilets in Europe and have enough pictures to fill a book! When on one train, Switzerland, I think, I used the WC (Water Closet), and it was the standard WC....something like the ones you find on the airplanes. Awhile later, Emilee asked where it was and I told her there was one at either end of the car. Well, she must've selected the one I did NOT use because she came back and asked in a somewhat shocked manner, "When you went to the bathroom, was it just a hole in the floor?!"

I remember years ago when Lee went to use the bathroom in a train station in Lucerne, Switzerland. Europe was having a heat wave, we were dying because nowhere did they give us more than one ice cube, and drinks were served at barely above room temperature. So, we did what we said we'd never do - we went to McDonalds. And there, we ordered the LARGE drinks with lots and lots of ice! Needless to say, we didn't get far before we needed to relieve ourselves. In Europe, there are not many bathrooms around. Even restaurants don't always have a bathroom for their guests. You have to locate the Public WC in town, and PAY to use the toilet. So, Lee decided he'd have to use the one in the train station because it was the only public WC around....and when you've got to go, you've got to go. So in he went and moments later came right back out again. "I'm not going in there!" "Why not?" "It's just a hole in the ground with a place for your feet on either side." I promptly reminded him that there were no other public toilets around, and unless he could refrain until we walked the long walk, UPHILL, to our hotel, then he had no other choice. So, in he went again. This time, two men standing outside talking followed him in (which alarmed me). I waited outside, afraid that I might hear yelling and that something might happen to him. When he came out, I asked about the men and he said that they just followed him inside and just laughed at him because of his reaction.

On the opposite coin of that, there are toilets here in Germany that the seat actually rotates when you flush it so that the entire seat passes through a cleaning device! How's that for cleanliness? And in defense of having to pay for using the WC, several I've gone in have been well worth the money because after each person leaves a stall, the Attendant goes in, wipes down the toilet, makes sure the toilet paper is hanging for you to easily pull, and then it's ready for you. In France yesterday, the Attendant prepared the toilet, walked out and said to me, "S'vous plait, madame?" And when I dropped some euro cents on the dish, she said, "Merci beaucoup!" That's class.

Other little differences
:

Hotels
- In America, you pay up front if you are paying cash, and usually even if you aren't. Then you "settle up" as you check out. In Europe, you never pay up front. You always pay upon leaving.....At least in the hotels I stayed at which weren't chain hotels or "little American hotels in Europe".

Movie Theaters - In yesterday's posting, you may have read that the movie theater we attended in Germany sold the tickets for its five theaters at the concession stand. And yes, they also sold beer. (Even Burger King has beer on its menu....but no, we didn't eat at Burger King.).....Also, we learned movies can have slightly different titles, as was the case with the movie, "The Hangover". In France, it was called "Very Bad Trip".

Paying at food stands
- inside and outside: There is a money dish where you place your money. That is where your change is also deposited. Money isn't exchanged from hand to hand as often as in the states.

Tips
- at most restaurants, tips are already included. But, it is still customary to round up on your bill and leave the change.

Restaurants
- In Europe when you eat out, it is expected that you are going to take your time, stay awhile, and eat several courses. They don't rush you in and out of restaurants. In fact, if you want to get out, you MUST ask for your check. It isn't just given to you after you have obviously finished your meal. ..............Europeans aren't as obsessive or concerned about germs as we are in America, which is why they probably serve sugar as sugar cubes, and why they can serve you food and take your money without using gloves.

Drinking water
- be prepared to break your piggybank for this. Water is not served to you at restaurants unless you ask for it. And if you ask for it, you'll be asked, "With gas or no gas?", meaning 'regular' or carbonated. (I was served Nestea once on the train and it was carbonated! Cold, it wasn't half bad. Same goes for water 'with gas'.) Oh, another word about tea....If you want cold tea, you ask for "Nestea". It's about the only kind of cold tea they are familiar with. However, there are a few stores where I have seen other types of cold tea sold.

Hot coffee and tea
- Yummmm!!! But, that's probably because they use whole milk or even cream. How could it not be good? I never did learn how to say "skim" or "low-fat" in German.

Stairs - Be sure you stick to the right...ALWAYS. That's the way the traffic flows. And on an escalator, be sure you stay to the right because people in a hurry tend to rush up the stairs of an escalator - not wait to be taken to the top or bottom floor.

Churches/Cathedrals - No bare shoulders, short shorts, and in some, no uncovered feet (sandals).

Some other things I've noticed - I was always warned about talking loudly or dressing "like an American". So, I've spoken softly, didn't wear big white tennis shoes, and even tried to stay away from jeans. It doesn't matter, I still look like a tourist. Maybe it's the camera? Ya think? But I have learned that some of the loudest people I've ever met are the Germans. They don't care who's around - they are loud! I only wish I knew what they were saying....I've wondered what the others who DID know what they were saying were thinking.

Cell phones - Everyone's got them, but they sure exercise much more cell phone etiquette than Americans do! Although there are some who do answer their phones and speak loudly in public, I've seen others leave the train car to go to the area between cars to answer their phones. And you do NOT see them driving and talking on their cell phones at the same time. It's against the law! I DID see one girl trying to talk on her phone while riding a bike in Amsterdam....I thought that was synonymous with driving on the autobahn in a "no speed limit zone" and talking on a cell phone!

And the list could go on and on.....I will certainly miss learning about all the different cultures I've learned about in this past month. But I will be happy to get back to American prices and ICE!

I also have very mixed feelings about returning home, for it will mean saying goodbye to Emilee so that I can go back and say hello to the rest of my family. I hate leaving Emilee alone here, with Alan deployed. But I can certainly say that she is very capable of taking care of herself, as she has a very nice home set up here for her and Alan, she is very responsible with all the bills and chores she has to do, while also being a full-time student at UCF. I can certainly say she has done all that she could to take good care of her Mama while I've been here!

No comments:

Post a Comment