Friday, July 10, 2009

A Day Off - American Style

Last night Emilee took me to one of their favorite restaurants in Landstuhl, a Vietnamese restaurant. I had a grilled pork dish that was served like we serve fajitas - sizzling on a platter. The plate that was put in front of me had some type of noodles - kind of like cellophane noodles (help me out here, Alan!), chopped vegetables, cucumbers, etc. I put the meat on the vegetables and noodles, put a little sauce on, and....YUM! While online working on the blog, Alan came online on Skype. I told him where we had been and he said he was jealous, as that was one of his favorite restaurants. Obviously it was, because the waitress didn't even have to ask Emilee what she wanted - she already knew! Sorry we can't ship some to you in Qatar, Alan!

Today, after working on the Amsterdam posting, Emilee and I headed for the Base. I mailed home three boxes of my "stuff" so that my luggage won't be over the weight limit when I leave. Emilee saw someone at the airport when she was flying back whose luggage was over the weight limit and the airline wanted to charge him around $300!!! No way I am going to do that. Thank goodness I could ship from the Base!

After the post office, Emilee and I gave the new Macaroni Grill in the new AAFES Mall a try. Emilee said she couldn't believe she was on Base. She felt like she was in the States. The restaurant was huge and there were waiters/waitresses/busboys/busgirls everywhere. They are in training, I guess, because the restaurant just opened. There are a couple shops in the Mall open, but not many. My nose led me to one that was open - a German Bakery and Coffee Shop. Their coffee is wonderful! I couldn't resist and had a cappucino! I am probably packing on the pounds from the milk/cream alone in the cappucinos I've had!

Photos:

1. New Base Hotel with Macaroni Grill attached. Mall entrance is to the left.











2. Inside Macaroni Grill













3. Another inside view













4. Plans for the Mall













After a late lunch, Emilee and I headed for Landstuhl to see a movie. Although it is a German movie theater, the only people I saw/heard in there were Americans. That's because Landstuhl has a huge Base, also. But the movie theater was very different inside than our theaters. There were sofas inside for lounging, a piano at a bar, tickets were sold at the Concession Stand, and at the Concession Stand you could buy the usual, and not usual....candy, popcorn, soda, and BEER. That's Germany for you!















































We saw "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock. Itwas in English. It was hysterical, with even a few tear-jerking scenes in it!

It was another great day. I am so glad I am able to have this time with Emilee. Wednesday will be tough, though, saying goodbye for what will probably be another year, at least, until I see her again. Thank goodness for Skype!

Our Eurailpasses expired yesterday. (Although one of the conductors wrote in the wrong expiration date - July 11th...but I didn't have the guts to try using it beyond the actual 21 days. With my luck, someone would catch it and I'd have to pay for a ticket and possibly a fine!) Tomorrow Emilee and I are planning a day trip to Strasbourg, France!

No comments:

Post a Comment